Jackson Barracks

Jackson Barracks is a military post which has been a part of the New Orleans landscape since the first half of the 19th century. It has been through the Mexican War, the Civil War and Reconstruction, both World Wars and countless hurricanes and floods. Devastated by Hurricane Katrina, the post has undergone a massive rebuilding project and continues to be an important presence in the city and the state.

Jackson Barracks is a military facility that has been in constant operation since 1836. Civilian access to this active base depends on the current security level, which can change. Even if accessible, there is 100% Identificaton Check. Most of the post is inaccessible to the general public. The Museum area, located in Area C (signs indicate it outside the post), is generally open to the public with ID check. Entrance on St. Claude Avenue.

Some of the tour sites included are residential neighborhoods. Despite the age of some of the structures, they still serve as homes for soldiers and their families.

Jackson Barracks Historic Garrison overview

The Historic Garrison section of Jackson Barracks consists of the original post constructed in the 1830s. These 19 buildings, surrounded by a 12 foot wall, served four companies of US Army regulars. By the 1830s, the Army decided it needed a…

Jackson Barracks: The Historic Garrison's lost buildings

The only buildings that have been lost from the 1830s complex are the post's original headquarters and the two towers that were nearest the river. In 1912, new levee construction required their demolition. A major river entrance was no longer…

Jackson Barracks: The Historic Garrison's Officers' Quarters

The 10 large, remaining buildings on the perimeter of the original post still serve their purpose as officer and high level noncommissioned officer (NCO) quarters. Famous officers that were stationed at the post include Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E.…

Jackson Barracks: Beauregard Drive

The second-oldest area of the post is currently referred to as "Beauregard Drive," after the street that runs from Fleming Hall to the river levee. The land it sits on was originally purchased by the Army for use as a hospital during the…

Jackson Barracks: Fleming Hall

In the 1920s, Jackson Barracks was transferred from the regular Army to the state's National Guard. From 1936 to1940, Louisiana adjutant general Raymond H. Fleming utilized the federal Works Progress Administration to provide renovation and new…

Jackson Barracks: "Building 35" and Post Headquarters

The current Post Headquarters buildings were built in the early 20th century and are deemed historic structures. They housed various offices through the years. Units headquartered in these buildings have included the 108th Cavalry, the 141st Field…

Jackson Barracks: Polo Field and Adjutant General's Office

In the 1920s and 30s, the large field north of the Historic Garrison, east of Fleming Hall and Post Headquarters, was used as a polo field. Officers in the 108th Cavalry held tournaments and New Orleanians came out to watch. Included in the new…

Jackson Barracks: The Museum Complex

In 1974, the Louisiana Military History and State Weapons Museum was established at Jackson Barracks. By the end of the decade it was housed in the old Powder Magazine, a building dating to 1837. Due to the nature of the structure (holding munitions…